Para Los Niños is closing the opportunity gap for children in distressed communities. Building on children’s innate strengths and resilience, we prepare them to be critical thinkers, innovators and active participants in their community – both locally and globally.
We believe that children learn best from engaging experiences that inspire them to ask questions, investigate solutions, solve problems and build conceptual understanding; and in a safe environment, valued for who they are and what they bring to the learning context.
Our pedagogy is built on a foundation of strong children, families and communities. To that end, we offer access to mental health and other family supportive services at each school site, and those providers are members of the school community. In addition, we help parents support their children’s learning by participating in a variety of activities, from governance to workshops on a range of issues including advocacy, ESL and parenting.
(click image to enlarge)
- Create a safe and accepting environment where children can take risks and make mistakes
- Foster each child’s potential and unlock her gifts and passions.
- Value and encourage children’s voices, questions and ideas
- Set high standards for academic achievement
- Act as both researcher and facilitator in the learning process
- Have deep and flexible knowledge of content and pedagogy
- Balance direct instruction and student-centered learning
The student’s role at Para Los Niños:
- Actively participate in thinking and learning
- Express, interpret and demonstrate his/her knowledge in different ways
- Explore, research and solve complex problems
- Be a productive and responsible member of the school community
The parent/caregiver’s role at Para Los Niños:
- Believe in his child’s potential
- Value and encourage her child’s voice, questions and ideas
- Support his child’s learning in school and at home